On behalf of the entire Huawei team, we're thrilled to welcome you to our 2020 European University Challenge in the United Kingdom!

As the leading global provider of information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure and smart devices, Huawei takes great pride in hosting this annual student competition. This six-week digital event is an opportunity for our team to collaborate with the innovators of tomorrow and we can't wait to see what you have in store!

And the winners are...

1st place

Satay Beef with Macaroni

3rd place


2nd place

Hot Wings

Honourable Mention: 

6th place

BetaCat Team

5th place

Untitled Project
#114514 Team

4th place

Bazsi700 Team

Special Award For Engineering Practice: 

Zzz Team

New South Team

The Challenge

The theme of this year’s challenge is High-Performance Computing. HPC makes it possible to solve problems at high speeds and is the foundation of many scientific, technical, and industrial advances.

Data science development, including artificial intelligence, data analysis, network analysis, social media analysis, knowledge graphs, etc., needs the ability to analyse and reason about large-scale data represented in graphs. The challenge is implementing fast graph algorithms that perform well on large sparse graphs, running parallel on multiple machines. How could we accelerate graph computation by exploiting high-performance computing?

In teams of 1-3, participants will develop and implement algorithms to solve tasks. The details of the algorithmic problem, together with example test data and evaluation criteria, will be revealed later.


First place:

£ 5000

Second place:

£ 3000

Third place:

£ 2000


A Huawei P40 Pro 

(one per team member) 

+ Amazon Vouchers


A Huawei Watch GT2 Pro (one per team member)

+ Amazon Vouchers


A Huawei Watch GT2 

(one per team member)

+ Amazon Vouchers

Network with industry experts

Showcase your idea

Increase your chances of getting an internship


Details of the first task are live on the Hackathon Platform

Details of the second task are live on the Hackathon Platform

Tech Club

This competition is organized by the Huawei UKRD club. We've prepared a jam-packed schedule of tech talks, open day, fellowship information, and internship opportunities, to ensure you get the most out of this experience. Join us and subscribe to our newsletter for more details when you register for this competition.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at ukrdclub@huawei.com.

How To Enter

To qualify for The Huawei University Challenge you must:

  • Be a current student in their 1st, 2nd, penultimate or final year in the UK universities. Undergraduate, postgraduates students, or PhD candidates are more than welcome to join.
  • Have a passion for technology.
  • Join as an individual participant and form your team on our competition platform.
  • Hit the Register button.


The necessary tech and resources include;

It is recommended to have access to Arm-based multicore system, e.g. Raspberry PI4 8GB. 

Access to Huawei Kupeng server will also be provided to each team. 

The basic development toolchain will be installed on the Kunpeng server. 

The essential packages are GCC, GDB, Python2/3, OpenBLAS.

Judging criteria

Judging will be based on running time, the time required for the system to evaluate the algorithm submitted by the participant, however, each task is weighted differently.

 The first task will account for 35% of the total score, and the second task for the remaining 65%.


Registration Opens

October 5, 2020

Registration closes

1st Task Deadline

2nd Task Released

November 9, 2020

Winners Announcement

December 10, 2020

1st Task Released

October 19, 2020

Final Deadline

November 30, 2020



© 2020. BEMYAPP, All rights reserved.